The National Advisory Council meets regularly with the dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science. Its members provide advice and resources to help enhance the educational programs and opportunities available to SEAS students.
Mr. Aran Hegarty is the current chair of the SEAS National Advisory Council.
Aran is the co-founder and president of Hegarty Research LLC. Hegarty Research provides systems engineering and technical assistance services to the Department of Defense and intelligence community at the convergence of radio frequency and internet protocol. Prior to starting Hegarty Research, Aran served in the United States Marine Corps specializing in ground electronic warfare and signals intelligence and then in industry working in wide variety of electrical and systems engineering disciplines.
Aran received his Master of Science degree from GW in 1997 and is active in a wide range of service activities at GW and at the University of Illinois, where he received his undergraduate degree. He is a long-time member of the NAC and the founding chair of its Entrepreneurship and Innovation Committee. He served as a judge for the SEAS Student R&D Showcase and recently served as the co-chair on the executive committee for the SEAS Campaign. Aran serves as an elected University of Illinois Foundation Member and on the Illinois Alumni Association Board of Advisors, and he is the president-elect of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Alumni Board of Directors.
Mr. Gennaro "Gene" Colabatistto is the current vice-chair of the SEAS National Advisory Council.
Gene has more than 25 years of experience in the global defense industry and has held leadership positions in both the military and private sector. As president of defense and security at CAE, a global leader in immersive, integrated training systems, he manages more than 2,500 employees in 30 countries.
Previously, Gene held senior management positions at SAIC, Space Imaging, SPOT Image, and Veridian. Gene also served in the United States Marine Corps as representative for intelligence systems and satellite and airborne reconnaissance during Desert Storm. His career has been dedicated to the innovative application of space, airborne, and intelligence technologies to issues related to national security. Gene has been recognized by the Director of Central Intelligence, Director of the National Reconnaissance Office, Secretary of the Navy, and the Commandant of the Marine Corps for “Significant Intelligence Successes” and Meritorious Service. In 2015, he was recognized by GovCon Exec as one the Top 100 most influential executives in Washington.
Gene is a 1996 alumnus of GW with a Master of Science in electrical engineering. He received a Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering and a Master of Science in systems management from University of Southern California.
- W. Scott Amey, MS ’75; Chairman of the Board, Amyx, Inc.
- Gennaro "Gene" Colabatistto, MS ’96; President, CAE, Inc. (NAC Vice-Chair)
- Gregory Colevas, BS ’85; Division President, Mid-Atlantic Region, Clark Construction
- Terry Collins, D.Sc. ’76; Retired Chairman, CEO and President, Argon ST
- Elizabeth D'Andrea, DSc ’06; Retired Program Manager, Office of Naval Research
- Thomas Doherty, BS ’89, Managing Director: Asset-Backed Finance, Wells Fargo & Co.
- Barbara Fleming, CCAS BS ’81, SEAS MS ’85; Former Senior Cyber Security Policy Advisor, Department of Defense
- Michael Fleming, MS ’82; Of Counsel, Irell & Manella LLP
- Gulu Gambhir, MS ’92, DSc ’98; Chief Technology Officer, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Randy A. Graves, D.Sc. ’78; President, Graves Technologies, Inc.
- Jon Halpern, BS ’79; President, Jon B. Halpern & Associates, LLC
- Alexandra Halvordson, BS ’08, Engineer, General Dynamics Electric Boat
- Aran Hegarty, MS ’97, President, Hegarty Research LLC (NAC Chair)
- Mo Hosseini, BS ’81, MS ’83; Division President and Chief Executive Officer of Clark Civil, Clark Construction Group, LLC
- Mark V. Hughes, III, MS ’77; Retired President, System and Network Solutions Group, SAIC
- Naeem Hussain, MS ’99; Entrepreneur and Management Consultant, Agile Trailblazers, LLC, Medzpeed Solutions & Elevertek LLC
- Ashok Jha, MS ’92; CEO, Adnet Systems, Inc.
- David Karlgaard, D.Sc. ’74; Retired CEO, PEC Solutions
- Kevin Kelly, MS ’97; CEO, LGS Innovations
- Sassan Kimiavi, BS ’85, MS ’87, D.Sc. ’98; Founder and CEO, ALTA Development, LLC
- Matthew Knouse, BA ’09, MS ’11; Abuse Analyst, Google, Inc.
- Anirudh Kulkarni, BS ’86, MS ’88; Managing Principal & CEO, Customer Value Partners, Inc.
- Andrew Lacher, BS ’86, MS ’70; UAS Integration Lead and Research Strategist, The MITRE Corporation
- Simon Lee, MS ’05; Chairman and CEO, STG, Inc.
- Dov Levy, MS ’83; President and CEO, Dovel Technologies
- Elma Levy, Friend, Chair of the Board and Co-founder, Dovel Technologies
- Patrick J. Marolda, MEA ’86; COO-Defense, Rolls-Royce (Retired)
- Asghar Mostafa, BS ’81, MS ’82; President and CEO, Rubriq Corporation
- Mark Mykityshyn, Ph.D., Friend, Executive Chairman and CEO, Tangible Security, Inc.
- Nick Paleologos, BS ’69; Vice Chairman, Miller & Long Co., Inc.
- T. Richard Stroupe, Jr., MS ’01; Founder and Managing Principal, Crimson Consulting Group
- Howard Tischler, MS ’80; CEO, Eversafe, Inc.
- L. William Varner, BS ’73; President and COO, ManTech International Corporation (MCIS Group)
- Indrajeet Viswanathan, MS ’12; Alexandria City Public Schools, Energy Manager
- Charles Watt, MEA ’73, D.Sc. ’86; Director, Watt Family Innovation Center
- Bradley Whittington, Friend, Director of Technology and Intelligence, Raytheon Company
- Christopher Wiernicki, MS ’83, Chairman, President, & CEO; American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
NAC Emeritus Members
- Will Alexander, BS ’04, MBA ‘06; Senior Associate, JM Zell and Partners
- Manjit Bakshi, BS ’64
- Gary Baldwin, MS ’92
- Gary Bard, MS ’63
- Rick Barry, former faculty
- Gurminder Bedi, BS ’69; Retired Vice President, North American Truck, Ford Motor Company
- John Chino, D.Sc. ’86
- Nolan Danchik, BS ’64, MS ’68
- Ray Everett, Esq., JD ’97
- Carolyn Fritz, MS ’89
- John Holmblad, MS ’80, Graduate Certificate ’02, Founder and CEO, Acadia Secure Network
- Douglas Humphrey, Friend
- Shaun Kim, MS ’70
- Allyn Kilsheimer, BS ’63
- Jim McDowell, MEA ’73
- Heather Nicholas, MS ’98
- John O’Brien, MEA ’78
- Cagatay Ozdogru, MS ’91
- Richard Reich, MS ’76, Retired Executive, Phillips Lifeline Systems
- Elias Shams, MS ’96
- Rachel Usdan, BS ’03, MS ’07
- Louis Wagman, BS ’64
- David Wang, BS ’51