2019 SEAS Student R&D Showcase
All the information you need to participate in the 2019 SEAS Student R&D Showcase is available on this page.
- Please apply for the R&D Showcase by September 20.
- Once accepted, you will be asked to submit a PDF of your poster by October 14, 2019.
- Print your poster on paper and bring it to the SEH First Floor on the morning of the R&D Showcase—Friday, October 25, 2019. Note: Tri-fold foam boards and clips will be provided then.
Guidelines for Excellence/New Judging Rules
In order to encourage excellence in the R&D Showcase, the judges will enforce strict rules for project submissions. Student participants must:
- meet all application/submission deadlines
- use proper spelling and grammar
- prepare a clear and concise presentation
- use proper GW and SEAS branding
There will be 3 Prizes for each SEAS department:
- Best Graduate Poster - $2,000
- Best Undergraduate Poster - $2,000
- Runner-Up - $1,000
plus $500 prizes for the winning mentors!
AccelerateGW I-Corps Site Program Grants
- Teams Selected for AccelerateGW - $3,000 for Customer Discovery
Deadlines and Schedule
- September 20, 2019: Deadline to apply.
- September 30, 2019: All applicants will be notified of application acceptance or rejection.
- October 14, 2019: Deadline to submit your Poster PDF (hard deadline).
- October 25, 2019: The SEAS Student R&D Showcase.
- 9:00 am: Student participants Check-in (SEH First Floor) and Breakfast
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm: First round of judging (for both the R&D Showcase and the I-Corps Grant Awards)
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 – 5:00 pm: Research Poster Session opens to the public
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Final round of poster judging
- 1:00 – 4:00 pm: Departmental Seminars (Lehman Auditorium)
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm: Reception
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm: Awards Presentation
Poster presentations will be judged on the scientific content, the ability of the presenter to explain the project, and the aesthetics of the poster. The first author or first and second authors must be the presenting authors. Your poster will measure 36” x 48” (landscape) and will be clipped to a tri-fold foam board (clips and foam boards will be provided on Showcase day). The Dean’s Office will not be responsible for the cost of printing your poster. However, you may ask your department or your project mentor if they are willing to cover the cost of printing. Please be sure to use the new GW and SEAS branding on your poster. Watch this NIH presentation for tips on how to make an interesting research poster. Here is a Sample Poster from a previous winner.
AccelerateGW I-Corps Site Program Grants:
With funding from the National Science Foundation, the AccelerateGW I-Corps Site Program awards grants of up to $3,000 to GW students, faculty and staff who wish to explore the prospects for applications of their research or technology to solve problems that could lead to a broader impact in society. The AccelerateGW I-Corps Site program will award at least 30 grants this year.
Participants in the AccelerateGW I-Corps Site program are required to complete the GW Introduction to I-Corps Course which includes attending three four-hour workshop sessions during a two-week period and requires conducting 10 customer interviews per week. Sessions of the Introduction to I-Corps Course are scheduled for September 4 – 20 and November 6 – 22, 2019.
In the workshop sessions, participants learn and practice the concepts of the Lean Startup approach to innovation, including identifying target customer segments, crafting value propositions and performing customer discovery interviews. In between the sessions, participants conduct customer interviews and attend office hours with the instructors. These activities generally take about 10 hours each week during the two weeks of the course.
The AccelerateGW grant money can be used for travel and related expenses for meeting with prospective customers and conducting structured interviews with them.
Participants in SEAS Student R&D Showcase 2019 can nominate themselves for an AccelerateGW I-Corps Grant on the R&D Showcase Application site.
If you have questions about participating in the 2019 R&D Showcase, please contact the Dean’s Office at 202-994-6080 or email Michael Veedock.
As we get closer to the day of the R&D Showcase, student participants will receive additional information regarding judging, event logistics, etc.