Department: Electrical and Computer Engineering
Email: Omur Ozel
Office Phone: (202) 994-0956
SEH 5620 | Office hours: By appointment
Professor Omur Ozel conducts research in wireless communications, information theory, signal processing and networks with special interests in energy harvesting communications, wireless energy and information transfer, information and system level security. His research addresses reliability, timeliness, security and robustness challenges in existing and emerging communication and computation settings.
- Ph.D., University of Maryland at College Park, 2015
- Information Theory
- O. Ozel, Timely Status Updating Through Intermittent Sensing and Transmission, IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, June 2020
- P. Zou, O. Ozel and S. Subramaniam, Waiting before Serving: A Companion to Packet Management in Status Update Systems, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 3864-3877, June 2020
- P. Rafiee and O. Ozel, Active Status Update Packet Drop Control in an Energy Harvesting Node, IEEE SPAWC, May 2020
- P. Rafiee, P. Zou, O. Ozel and S. Subramaniam, Maintaining Information Freshness in Power Efficient Status Update Systems, IEEE INFOCOM AoI Workshop, July 2020
- S. Weerakkody, O. Ozel, Y. Mo and B. Sinopoli (2019), "Resilient Control in Cyber-Physical Systems: Countering Uncertainty, Constraints, and Adversarial Behavior", Foundations and Trends in Systems and Control: Vol. 7: No. 1-2, pp 1-252.
- P. Zou, O. Ozel and S. Subramaniam, Trading Off Computation with Transmission in Status Update Systems, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2019.
- P. Zou, O. Ozel and S. Subramaniam, Relative Age of Information: A New Metric for Status Update Systems, IEEE Information Theory Workshop, Visby, Sweden, August 2019.
- O. Ozel, B. Sinopoli and O. Yağan, Optimizing Robustness against Cascading Failures under Max-Load Targetted Attack, IEEE European Control Conference, Naples, Italy, June 2019.
- A. Baknina, O. Ozel, S. Ulukus, J. Yang and A. Yener, Sending Information through Status Updates, IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Vail, CO, June 2018.
- S. Weerakkody, O. Ozel and B. Sinopoli, A Bernoulli-Gaussian physical watermark for detecting integrity attacks in control systems,55th Annual Allerton Conference on Communications, Control and Computing, Monticello, IL, October 2017.
- O. Ozel, S. Weerakkody and B. Sinopoli, Physical watermarking for cyber-physical systems via packet drop injections, IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, Dresden, Germany, October 2017.
- K. Tutuncuoglu, O. Ozel, A. Yener and S. Ulukus, The Binary Energy Harvesting Channel with a Unit Sized Battery, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 63(7):4240-4256, July 2017.
- O. Ozel, S. Ulukus and P. Grover, Energy Harvesting Transmitters that Heat Up: Throughput Maximization under Temperature Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 15(8):5440-5452, August 2016.
- O. Ozel, S. Ulukus and P. Grover, Wireless information and energy transfer under temperature constraints, IEEE International Conference on Communications, Paris, France, May 2017.
- O. Ozel and V. Anantharam, State estimation in energy harvesting systems, Information Theory and Applications Workshop, La Jolla, CA, February 2016.
- B. Gurakan, O. Ozel and S. Ulukus, Optimal Data and Energy Routing in Networks with Energy Cooperation, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 15(2):857- 870, February 2016.
- O. Ozel, E. Ekrem and S. Ulukus, Gaussian Wiretap Channel with Amplitude and Variance Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 61(10): 5553-5563, October 2015.
- O. Ozel, K. Tutuncuoglu, S. Ulukus and A. Yener, The binary energy harvesting channel with on-off fading, IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Hong Kong, June 2015.
- O. Ozel, K. Tutuncuoglu, S. Ulukus and A. Yener, Fundamental Limits of Energy Harvesting Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine, 53(4):126-132, April 2015.
- Member, Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship by the ECE Department at UMD, 2014.
- Finalist in Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship in the United States, 2014.