This issue covers:
- Temporary suspension of employer contributions to retirement plans
- Changes to campus access
- GW 2020-2021 holiday schedule
- GW’s common purpose and values
- Performance management/[email protected]
- Events and trainings
News and Highlights
Temporary Suspension of 401(a) Employer Base
and Matching Contributions
On August 10, President LeBlanc shared an update about the financial impact of GW’s new fall plans and the temporary suspension of the university’s base and matching retirement contributions to the 401(a) Retirement Plan for Faculty and Staff (commonly referred to as the Employer Base Plan). Please review this notice to learn more regarding the suspension.
All 401(a) base and matching contributions for employees paid on a monthly basis will be suspended beginning on October 1, 2020.
Contributions to the 403(b) Supplemental Plan
Your employee contributions will not be affected—if you are enrolled in GW’s 403b Supplemental Plan, your contributions will continue to be deducted from your paycheck unless you make a change. We encourage you to review your contributions at netbenefits.com and schedule a 1:1 retirement consultation with Fidelity or TIAA to review your current accounts and long-term goals.
We Are Here to Help
For questions related to your benefits, please reach out to us at [email protected] or call us at (571) 553-8382.
Changes to Access to GW Campuses
Beginning August 28 at 5:00 pm, access to all of GW’s campuses will be limited to only those who have special permission to be on campus. More information is available in this GW Today update.
Updates to GW’s Holiday Schedule
The Provost’s Office has now reverted back to the original academic calendar, inclusive of holiday breaks. This means that Labor Day, September 7, 2020, will remain a scheduled university holiday. Due to the likely continuation of restrictions on large gatherings caused by the pandemic, Inauguration Day, January 20, 2021, is not a university holiday for FY21.
Accessing Your Pay Stub After Leaving GW
Employees may continue to access their pay stubs and Form W-2 online via the GWeb Information System even after GW employment has ended. Please note that there is a seven-day transition period for access after the final termination date, meaning that you will not be able to access the pay stub until seven days after your termination date. Payroll has made this resource available for more information about accessing your pay stubs.
The Newest in GW’s “Healthy You Series”
Read, "How Leaders Can Cultivate Patience in an Impatient World" by Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries, INSEAD Distinguished Clinical Professor of Leadership Development and Organizational to explore "nine ways to develop this important “muscle” and reap its mental health benefits." Reflect on your approach with others when listening to the podcast, "The Empathy Effect," the newest in GW's "Healthy You: Surviving a Pandemic," series hosted by Frank Sesno.
Comings and Goings
Welcome to the following new team members:
- Ramesh Paudel - joined ECE on July 13 as a postdoctoral scientist
- Jaclyn Brennan - joined BME on July 13 as a postdoctoral scientist
- Amin, Rubab - joined ECE on August 3 as a postdoctoral scientist
- Alice Walker, whose last day is August 21
- Dr. Ndeye Rokhaya Faye, whose last day is August 31
SEAS Employment Opportunities
Apply online @ www.gwu.jobs for these postings:
- Postdoctoral Scientist in MAE, Posting Number R001099
- Postdoctoral Scientist in BME, Posting Number R001089
- Postdoctoral Scientist in BME, Posting Number R001088
- Postdoctoral Scientist in BME, Posting Number R001087
- Postdoctoral Scientist in EMSE, Posting Number R001040
- Postdoctoral Scientist in ECE, Posting Number R001017
GW Common Purpose and Values
On April 16, 2019, President LeBlanc announced to the University the GW common purpose statement and new GW Values. The University’s Culture Leadership Team (CLT) used feedback from the GW wide cultural assessment to create these two elements that are key to evolving the culture.
Only at GW, we change the world, one life at a time.
Common purpose statement to help guide individual decision-making about how to approach our day-to-day interactions with our GW coworkers and our community
We are honest and fair in our words and actions.
We achieve more by engaging others in shared processes and decision-making.
We value people as individuals and treat them with fairness, compassion, and care.
We achieve distinction through knowledge and innovation.
We are accessible, receptive and share information freely.
We value and include people from different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives in the pursuit of our common goals.
We encourage risk-taking, learning from failure, and perseverance in our pursuit of excellence.
Performance Management/TAG @ GW
All areas of the university are now on the same performance management cycle for staff, which runs from July 1 - June 30. Performance management check-ins and goal creation are completed online in [email protected] - Performance. To set goals for the next performance cycle:
Work with your manager to set goals in Talent @ GW based on your department and school/division’s priorities.
- Guide: How to enter or update goals in [email protected] - Employees (PDF)
- Refer to the Goal Setting page for in-depth help with setting your goals.
Once you submit goals in Talent @ GW, your manager will be prompted to approve them.
Goals can be edited, added, and/or cancelled at any point in Talent @ GW. Any change will prompt manager approval.
- The Performance Management section of the Human Resource Management and Development website has tools and resources to support you throughout the final check-in and goal setting process. In addition, Workplace Learning & Development (WLD) continues to provide a mix of virtual and in-person office hours to support staff.
Please email [email protected] if you have questions or would like support.
Privacy and Data Management Training
Privacy and data management training sessions are now scheduled. Sign up for one of the WebEx sessions scheduled for the month of August 2020, or for more information about scheduled privacy training sessions, regularly check our EVENTS page.
- Data Management and Protection: Tuesday, August 18 | 10:00 – 11:30 am Register | Webex
- Records Management: Wednesday, August 19 | 10:00 – 11:30 am: Register | Webex
- [email protected] – Q&A Session: Wednesday, August 26 | 10:00 – 11:00m: Register | Webex
If you would like a privacy and/or data or records management training session delivered to your team or department, or have any questions, please contact the Office of Ethics, Compliance and Privacy at [email protected].
Your Career at GW
The Career Path Program is designed to identify the different types of jobs and career paths we have at the university. Explore possible career paths at the university.
Workplace Learning & Development provides learning and performance management resources for all GW staff, including individual contributors and managers.
Visit the Benefits website to learn about leave, health, retirement, and other benefits available to GW employees.
Wellness & Discounts
Being affiliated with GW has many perks, including access to facilities and discounts on products and services provided by a number of vendors. A list of vendors and discounts is available on the Benefits website.
The Wellbeing Hotline - Resources For Living is an employer-sponsored program, available at no cost to you and all members of your household (including dependent children up to age 26, whether or not they live at home). Services are confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Wellbeing Hotline is your one-stop-shop for help with personal issues, life event planning or simple daily life management.
Call toll-free: (866) 522-8509
TTY: (888) 879-8274
Online: Log in to the my.gwu.edu portal using your NetID and password and click on the “Wellbeing Hotline” link under the “Working” tab.
If you have HR-related questions or need assistance, please contact:
- HR Manager: Marion Flythe-Inman, x4-0697
- HR Associate: Jessica (Lynn) Propst, x3-4491
- HR Director: Shelley Nixon, x4-6216
- Bonus Request Form (PDF)
- ColonialTemps Temporary Employee Request Form (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Guidelines (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Form (PDF)
- Paid Time Off Request Form (PDF)
- Interim Assignment (PDF)
- Request to Extend Job Assignment Form (PDF)
- Staff Personnel Action Form (PDF)
- Telecommuting Agreement Form (PDF)
- Temporary Hire Form (PDF)