This issue covers:
- Time off reminder
- Performance management check-in
- GW’s common purpose and values
- Performance management/[email protected]
- Events and trainings
Time Off Reminder for Benefits-Eligible Full-Time and Part-Time Staff:
GW’s fiscal year ends on June 30, 2020. Please plan to use your annual time as we approach the end of our fiscal year. GW has a “use or lose” policy and there is a limit on the number of days an employee can carry over into the next fiscal year. You can check your annual time balance in Kronos at any time. Please follow up with your manager on any pending requests and submit any unrecorded time.
Annual Time Carryover
Due to the challenges of COVID-19, the university temporarily enhanced the Annual Time Carryover policy to allow all full-time benefits-eligible staff to carry over up to 80 hours (40 hours for part-time) of accrued but unused annual time. Carryover time must be used by October 31, 2020. Please note: The maximum number of accrued but unused annual carryover days eligible for payout upon termination is 40 hours for FT and 20 hours for PT.
Special note for Managers – ACTION NEEDED:
Please review your direct reports’ time off balances to ensure balances reflect time taken. Please also be sure to review and respond (i.e. approve, reject, etc.) to any outstanding time off requests in partnership with your direct report(s) to ensure accuracy of the request.
We Are Here To Help
Please contact us for help with time off in Kronos Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm via email at [email protected] or (571) 553-8382. Visit our Time Off and Leave Guide for information on policies and the Benefits website for Kronos tools and resources.
Performance Management Final Check-In
As a reminder, the final check-in for the 2019-2020 performance cycle will begin on June 19, 2020. On that date, you will receive a notification from [email protected] to begin your final check-in online, as well as an email with information and resources to help you. In order to be able to complete your final check-in, you must have goals entered into [email protected], and your manager must have approved them in the system. For help, see: How to Enter or Update a Goal in [email protected] (Employees), How to Approve, Deny or Assign Goals in [email protected] (Managers), or [email protected] - Goal Setting Video. Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.
Register for #GWInSolidarity
The Office for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement and The Collaborative for Inclusive Excellence have planned a series of programs for members of the GW Community to process, work on healing, learn from one another, and move towards action. Events are open to everyone. Please choose an event where you can both benefit and uplift others, and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to [email protected].
The Time Reporting System (Kronos) upgrade to improve the system’s security and enhance timekeeping functions is now complete. Kronos is now available at go.gwu.edu/trs. Please be sure to delete old bookmarks for Kronos as those links are no longer available or functional. The following functions are now available through Kronos:
- Single Sign-On
- Clocking In/Out on a PC
- Time Off Requests
If you have questions about Kronos, please contact the Time Reporting System Administrator at 571-553-4407 or [email protected].
COVID-19-related Information and Resources for Faculty and Staff
Updated Paid Time-off Option
To support staff and their loved ones, a new paid time off option, Pandemic Time (PND), is available effective March 16, 2020 and can be submitted in Kronos. This new PND time replaces the previously announced option of using sick time in advance of accrual. For further questions, please check out the Pandemic Time FAQs, available from GW Benefits.
GW MAIL Services & Packages Updates:
- Mail service and delivery will continue.
- If no staff are available to receive mail, mail will be held by MPS filed by department.
- Mail and Package Services at VSTC, MVC, and FB are able to hold mail for pickup.
- The department head will need to email [email protected] staff names authorized for pick up.
- MPS staff will keep mail sorted by department, and GWID must be shown and will be verified against the list of authorized names.
- DO NOT have mail forwarded by the USPS thorough their Business portal – all of GW mail could end up at your home, and the USPS process takes two weeks to activate.
- If you are expecting a package from FedEx/UPS/etc. and your building is not open during instructional continuity, packages will be returned to the sender.
- You must work with the sender/carrier to redirect packages to alternate address
GW Parking Garages
- The Marvin Center garage will be open from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm Monday – Sunday.
- The 1957 E Street garage will be closed to the public and current permit holders.
- Permit holders in the Marvin Center and 1957 E Street garages will be contacted in the near future about alternate parking locations.
- The free/discounted parking benefit for designated on-site employees will end on July 31, 2020.
- All other garages will continue their normal operations and are open to the public, permit holders, and GW daily parkers.
- Teleworking employees who may have to occasionally come to campus are encouraged to use a pay to park garage or available street parking.
GW will continue to monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of campus access controls and may make further changes as needed. We will notify you of any further changes. We ask for your continued understanding and cooperation during this evolving situation.
Headspace Now Available
Headspace, the mindfulness app, is now available for all benefits-eligible faculty and staff members. We hope you explore the app to experience the many mindfulness programs it offers. Go online today and sign up for Headspace, and use these links to get started:
- Helpful information: Visit this page to find links to sign-up instructions, FAQs, and additional resources for the app.
- Official enrollment page: Headspace can be used on a computer or mobile device. To use on a mobile device, download the app and use your email/password created at enrollment to login. Tip: Only your @gwu.edu email can be used to sign up. You will also create a unique password.
Qualified Life Event - Change in Status
As the COVID-19 situation continues to impact our communities, many of you are making necessary adjustments to your childcare and school arrangements. If you experience a change in status or a change in the cost or coverage of services (ex. daycare, after school care), this is considered a Qualified Life Event, allowing you to make a mid-year change. You have the opportunity to make updates to your 2020 Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (DCFSA) within 30 calendar days of the event.
To make a change to your DCFSA election, please complete this form and scan and email to [email protected].
Join us by WebEx: HR Cookies and Conversation: HR Cookies and Conversation is a new engagement initiative intended to promote opportunities for SEAS employees in non-management positions to engage with the HR Manager in an informal setting. No HR Cookies and Conversation events are currently scheduled, but information on the next event will be posted as it becomes available.
Interviewing and Hiring Compliance Training
Effective July 1, 2019, hiring proposals will not be considered unless the respective hiring manager has completed the training. Managers have been assigned the training in [email protected], and a reminder email has been sent to managers alerting them to the upcoming training deadline.
If you have any questions about the training, please reach out to the Equal Employment Opportunity & Employee Relations (EEO/ER) office at [email protected].
GW Common Purpose and Values
On April 16, 2019, President LeBlanc announced to the University the GW common purpose statement and new GW Values. The University’s Culture Leadership Team (CLT) used feedback from the GW wide cultural assessment to create these two elements that are key to evolving the culture.
Only at GW, we change the world, one life at a time.
Common purpose statement to help guide individual decision-making about how to approach our day-to-day interactions with our GW coworkers and our community
We are honest and fair in our words and actions.
We achieve more by engaging others in shared processes and decision-making.
We value people as individuals and treat them with fairness, compassion, and care.
We achieve distinction through knowledge and innovation.
We are accessible, receptive and share information freely.
We value and include people from different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives in the pursuit of our common goals.
We encourage risk-taking, learning from failure, and perseverance in our pursuit of excellence.
Performance Management/TAG @ GW
All areas of the university are now on the same performance management cycle for staff, which runs from July 1 - June 30. Performance management check-ins and goal creation are completed online in [email protected] - Performance. To set goals for the next performance cycle:
Work with your manager to set goals in Talent @ GW based on your department and school/division’s priorities.
- Guide: How to enter or update goals in [email protected] - Employees (PDF)
- Refer to the Goal Setting page for in-depth help with setting your goals.
Once you submit goals in Talent @ GW, your manager will be prompted to approve them.
Goals can be edited, added, and/or cancelled at any point in Talent @ GW. Any change will prompt manager approval.
- The Performance Management section of the Human Resource Management and Development website has tools and resources to support you throughout the final check-in and goal setting process. In addition, Workplace Learning & Development (WLD) continues to provide a mix of virtual and in-person office hours to support staff.
Please email [email protected] if you have questions or would like support.
No trainings are currently scheduled. Updates will be posted as they become available.
Your Career at GW
The Career Path Program is designed to identify the different types of jobs and career paths we have at the university. Explore possible career paths at the university.
Workplace Learning & Development provides learning and performance management resources for all GW staff, including individual contributors and managers.
Visit the Benefits website to learn about leave, health, retirement, and other benefits available to GW employees.
Wellness & Discounts
Being affiliated with GW has many perks, including access to facilities and discounts on products and services provided by a number of vendors. A list of vendors and discounts is available on the Benefits website.
The Wellbeing Hotline - Resources For Living is an employer-sponsored program, available at no cost to you and all members of your household (including dependent children up to age 26, whether or not they live at home). Services are confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Wellbeing Hotline is your one-stop-shop for help with personal issues, life event planning or simple daily life management.
Call toll-free: (866) 522-8509
TTY: (888) 879-8274
Online: Log in to the my.gwu.edu portal using your NetID and password and click on the “Wellbeing Hotline” link under the “Working” tab.
If you have HR-related questions or need assistance, please contact:
- HR Manager: Marion Flythe-Inman, x4-0697
- HR Associate: Jessica (Lynn) Propst, x3-4491
- HR Director: Shelley Nixon, x4-6216
- Bonus Request Form (PDF)
- ColonialTemps Temporary Employee Request Form (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Guidelines (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Form (PDF)
- Paid Time Off Request Form (PDF)
- Interim Assignment (PDF)
- Request to Extend Job Assignment Form (PDF)
- Staff Personnel Action Form (PDF)
- Telecommuting Agreement Form (PDF)
- Temporary Hire Form (PDF)