Welcome to The HR Corner, the new HR resource for the SEAS community. In The HR Corner, I will be sharing HR news and highlights with faculty and staff. Please keep a lookout here for up-to-date information each month. I welcome your feedback on topics you would like to see highlighted. My office hours are generally Monday–Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Feel free to stop by and say hello.
This issue covers:
- Open Enrollment 2020
- GW Culture Training Sessions
- TRS changes for timekeepers
- SEAS employment opportunities
- GW’s common purpose and values
- Performance management/[email protected]
- Events and trainings
Open Enrollment 2020
Open Enrollment is your annual opportunity to revisit and make changes to your health and welfare benefits. The 2020 Open Enrollment runs through 8:00 pm (ET) on Friday, October 25, 2019.
Review the 2020 Benefits Overview to learn more about the enhancements and changes made to the 2020 benefits programs and visit the Benefits website to review the Annual Open Enrollment Guide, which includes a medical plan comparison, contribution rates and more!
Please plan to stop by one of the annual Open Enrollment Fairs, where you have the opportunity to speak directly with GW’s benefit plan providers and receive assistance with the enrollment process. Note: Most changes elected during the Open Enrollment period will take effect on January 1, 2020.
To review, change, and/or elect your benefits for 2020, or designate life insurance beneficiaries, log on to EasyEnroll as often as you like between today and October 25th. Please contact the Benefits Call Center at (888) 4GWUBEN (449-8236) or [email protected] with questions regarding any of GW’s health and welfare employee benefits.
Sign-Up for OUR GW Culture Training Sessions
OUR GW reinforces our belief that we will only be successful if we all do our part to strengthen our culture. We are all in this together. To register for a service training on your campus (Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon, or Virginia Science and Technology campus), please log into Talent @ GW.
SkillSurvey Reference Checks
Effective immediately HR has implemented a new way to conduct reference checks. SkillSurvey is an online, automated reference check solution that gives you deep, comprehensive insights on all your candidates, whether you’re hiring, onboarding, or managing a placement. See FAQ's. Contact your HR representative if you have questions.
Time Off and Leave Guide
Effective July 1, 2019, the GW Paid Time Off and Leave Guide will be the source for managing annual and sick leave records. It consolidates into one resource the information from the: Employee Handbook, Manager Toolkit and Leave information (Benefits website.) The Guide includes information about recent enhancements to the paid time off program, which are highlighted in the Benefits communication, What’s New, What’s Changing, sent via a GW InfoMail in April.
TRS Changes for Timekeepers
The look and feel of the TRS has been updated with the launch of centralized time off tracking functionality. All employees are now in the TRS and we've added new hyperfinds to help you select just the employees you need to review. Timekeepers will continue to do payroll processing for only biweekly employees.
Any current custom hyperfinds will pull both monthly and biweekly employees. To update hyperfinds to display biweekly employees only, exclude MOFT and MOPT payrules. Any current custom hyperfinds for students will need to be adjusted to use payrule TP21 instead of TP11.
- All Home - Biweekly: Shows only biweekly employees
- All Home - Monthly: Shows only monthly employees
- All Home and Transferred In Employees: Shows biweekly and monthly employees
- All Home - Termed: Shows anyone terminated in the TRS
There are also new widgets and genies in the TRS that will be used after July 1 to support time off tracking for both exempt and non-exempt employees. Please share with your biweekly employees that their view has also been updated, most notably that the "My Timecard" widget is now on the right . An overview of time off training opportunities for employees, managers, and timekeepers is available on the Benefits webpage.
IMPORTANT PROCESSING CHANGES:
- Time off requests are visible to all timekeepers with access to an org but only managers or delegates should approve requests.
- After July 1, timekeepers will not have the ability to add paid time off codes directly on the timecard. Request Manager will be the new method for recording paid time off for an employee such as ANL, SIC, JRY, BRV.
- After July 1, on payroll approval Tuesday please confirm that non-exempts do not have an outstanding time off request that would effect their pay. If so please check with the manager for status of approval.
Please visit the Benefits webpage for more information.
Interviewing and Hiring Compliance Training
Effective July 1, 2019, hiring proposals will not be considered unless the respective hiring manager has completed the training. Managers have been assigned the training in [email protected], and a reminder email has been sent to managers alerting them to the upcoming training deadline.
If you have any questions about the training, please reach out to the Equal Employment Opportunity & Employee Relations (EEO/ER) office at [email protected].
SEAS Employment Opportunities
Apply online @ www.gwu.jobs for these postings:
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Posting Number R000839
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Posting Number R000765
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Posting Number R000512
- SEAS Academic Advisor, Posting Number S008698
GW Common Purpose and Values
On April 16, 2019, President LeBlanc announced to the University the GW common purpose statement and new GW Values. The University’s Culture Leadership Team (CLT) used feedback from the GW wide cultural assessment to create these two elements that are key to evolving the culture.
Only at GW, we change the world, one life at a time.
Common purpose statement to help guide individual decision-making about how to approach our day-to-day interactions with our GW coworkers and our community
We are honest and fair in our words and actions.
We achieve more by engaging others in shared processes and decision-making.
We value people as individuals and treat them with fairness, compassion, and care.
We achieve distinction through knowledge and innovation.
We are accessible, receptive and share information freely.
We value and include people from different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives in the pursuit of our common goals.
We encourage risk-taking, learning from failure, and perseverance in our pursuit of excellence.
Performance Management/TAG @ GW
All areas of the university are now on the same performance management cycle for staff, which runs from July 1 - June 30. Performance management check-ins and goal creation are completed online in [email protected] - Performance. To set goals for the next performance cycle:
Work with your manager to set goals in Talent @ GW based on your department and school/division’s priorities.
- Guide: How to enter or update goals in [email protected] - Employees (PDF)
- Refer to the Goal Setting page for in-depth help with setting your goals.
Once you submit goals in Talent @ GW, your manager will be prompted to approve them.
Goals can be edited, added, and/or cancelled at any point in Talent @ GW. Any change will prompt manager approval.
- The Performance Management section of the Human Resource Management and Development website has tools and resources to support you throughout the final check-in and goal setting process. In addition, Workplace Learning & Development (WLD) continues to provide a mix of virtual and in-person office hours to support staff.
Please email [email protected] if you have questions or would like support.
Workplace Learning & Development (WLD) offers additional group training sessions to support managers during key performance cycle periods. Managers who would like support on coaching, feedback, and the Talent @ GW system can also attend in-person office hours for one-on-one support or contact [email protected]. Once you have registered for a training session, you can access the training via your transcript in the Talent @ GW system.
Tuition Remission Information Sessions
Every semester, GW Benefits hosts information sessions for its tuition remission program. Each session provides a detailed overview of tuition remission and gives attendees the opportunity to have their questions answered. Session dates will be posted here as they become available.
GW Employee Appreciation Events: Dates TBD
- GW Employee Baby Shower – Fall 2019
- Career Milestones Celebrations – December 2019
Your Career at GW
The Career Path Program is designed to identify the different types of jobs and career paths we have at the university. Explore possible career paths at the university.
Workplace Learning & Development provides learning and performance management resources for all GW staff, including individual contributors and managers.
Visit the Benefits website to learn about leave, health, retirement, and other benefits available to GW employees.
Wellness & Discounts
Being affiliated with GW has many perks, including access to facilities and discounts on products and services provided by a number of vendors. A list of vendors and discounts is available on the Benefits website.
The Wellbeing Hotline - Resources For Living is an employer-sponsored program, available at no cost to you and all members of your household (including dependent children up to age 26, whether or not they live at home). Services are confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Wellbeing Hotline is your one-stop-shop for help with personal issues, life event planning or simple daily life management.
Call toll-free: (866) 522-8509
TTY: (888) 879-8274
Online: Log in to the my.gwu.edu portal using your NetID and password and click on the “Wellbeing Hotline” link under the “Working” tab.
If you have HR-related questions or need assistance, please contact:
- HR Manager: Marion Flythe-Inman, x4-0697
- HR Associate: Jessica (Lynn) Propst, x3-4491
- HR Director: Donna Lewis, x4-4764
- Bonus Request Form (PDF)
- ColonialTemps Temporary Employee Request Form (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Guidelines (PDF)
- Internal Progressive Promotion Form (PDF)
- Paid Time Off Request Form (PDF)
- Interim Assignment (PDF)
- Request to Extend Job Assignment Form (PDF)
- Staff Personnel Action Form (PDF)
- Telecommuting Agreement Form (PDF)
- Temporary Hire Form (PDF)