Professor Danmeng Shuai's research group specializes in water treatment, environmental chemistry, catalysis, and nanotechnology. His group aims to apply materials-based strategies to address water sustainability issues. Their research focuses on advanced treatment technologies (including oxidation, reduction, and separation) for water purification with reduced energy footprint, production of renewable energy, and resource recovery from the waste.
- B.E., Tsinghua University, 2005
- M.E., Tsinghua University, 2007
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2012
- Shuai, D., McCalman, D. C., Choe, J. K., Shapley, J. R., Schneider, W. F., Werth, C. J. Structure Sensitivity Study of Waterborne Contaminant Hydrogenation Using Shape- and Size- Controlled Pd Nanoparticles. ACS Catalysis. 2013, 3: 453-463.
- Zhang, R.*, Shuai, D.*, Guy, K. A., Strathmann, T. J., Shapley, J. R., Werth, C. J. Elucidation of Nitrate Reduction Mechanisms on a Pd-In Bimetallic Catalyst Using Isotope Labeled Nitrogen Species. ChemCatChem. 2013, 5(1): 313-321. (* Equal Contribution)
- Shuai, D., Choe, J. K., Shapley, J. R., Werth, C. J. Enhanced Activity and Selectivity of Carbon Nanofiber Supported Pd Catalysts for Nitrite Reduction. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2012, 46(5): 2847-2855.
- Shuai, D., Wang, C., Genc, A., Werth, C. J. A New Geometric Method Based on 2D Transmission Electron Microscopy for Analysis of Interior versus Exterior Pd Loading on Hollow Carbon Nanofibers. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2011, 2(9): 1082-1087.
- Shuai, D., Chaplin, B. P., Shapley, J. R., Menendez, N. P., McCalman, D. C., Schneider, W. F., Werth, C. J. Enhancement of Oxyanion and Diatrizoate Reduction Kinetics Using Selected Azo Dyes on Pd-Based Catalysts, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010, 44(5): 1773-1779.
- Deng, S., Shuai, D., Yu, Q., Huang, J., Yu, G. Selective Sorption of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate on Molecularly Imprinted Polymer Adsorbents, Front. Environ. Sci. Eng. China, 2009, 3(2): 171-177.
- Shuai, D., Deng, S., Yu, G., Yu, Q., Preparation and Characterization of Nano-polymeric Adsorbents for PFOS Removal from Drinking Water, Environmental Pollution & Control (in Chinese), 2007, 8: 588-591.
- Shuai, D., Yang, B., Yu, G., Effects of Surfactants and HPCD on 2,4,5-PCB Electroreduction Using a Pd Loaded Activated Carbon Felt Electrode. Environmental Chemistry (in Chinese), 2007, 4: 457-460.
- Yang, B., Yu, G., huai, D. Electrocatalytic Hydrodechlorination of 4-Chlorobiphenyl in Aqueous Solution Using Palladized Nickel Foam Cathode. Chemosphere, 2007, 67(7): 1361-1367.
- NANO 2010 Student Platform Presentation Award, 3rd, Clemson University, USA, 08/2010.
- NSF-AEESP Grand Challenge Student Paper Award, AEESP Conference, Iowa City, IA, USA, 07/2009.
- Member of Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors and American Chemical Society.
- Reviewer for Environmental Science & Technology, Water Research, Environmental Engineering Science, and Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering.