Professor Abdou Youssef's research interests are search and retrieval, audio-visual data processing, pattern recognition, data error recovery, theory and algorithms. He and his students developed a system for the Federal government to recover from fax errors without retransmission. Recently, he has created for NIST a new math-search engine for its Digital Library of Mathematical Functions (DLMF) intended for scientists, engineers, and all users of mathematics; this search engine is first of its kind and is deployed online at http://dlmf.nist.gov/. Currently, his students and he are working on sentiment-detection in documents that involve reviews of medical devices/procedures and other types of reviews, as well as developing sophistical mathematical search techniques that enable knowledge discovery.
- Ph.D., Princeton University, 1988
- M.S., Princeton University, 1985
- B.S., The Lebanese University, Lebanon, 1981
- Algorithms and theory
- Computer science
- Digital media
- Search and data mining
- Dong Hua, Dechang Chen, Fang Liu, and Abdou Youssef, A Bayesian Approach to Multistage Fitting of the Variation of the Skeletal Age Features, Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, Volume 2009.
- Seyed Ali Ahmadi and Abdou Youssef, Lexical Error Compensation in Handwritten-based Mathematical Information Retrieval,Towards Digital Mathematics Library (DML 2008), July 27th, 2008, Birmingham, UK, part of the 7th International Conference on Mathematical Knowledge Management, 2008, pp. 43-54.
- Bruce Miller and Abdou Youssef, Augmenting Presentation MathML for Search, Proceedings of the 7th Mathematical Knowledge Management conference, UK, July 2008.
- Abdou Youssef, Methods of Relevance Ranking and Hit-content Generation in Math Search, The 6th Mathematical Knowledge Management Conference, Hagenberg, Austria, June 27-30, 2007.
- Moody Altamimi and Abdou Youssef, Wildcards in Math Search, Implementation Issues, 19th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering, November 7-9, 2007, San Francisco, California USA.
- Mohammed Shatnawi and Abdou Youssef, Equivalence Detection Using Parse-tree Normalization for Math Search, The Second International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM'07), October 28-31, 2007.
- Abdou Youssef, Roles of Math Search in Mathematics,Spring-Verlag volume the Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence series. Also, an invited paper, the 5th Int'l Conf. on Mathematical Knowledge Management, August, 2006, UK, pp. 2-16.
- I. Scherson and A. Youssef, Editors, Interconnection Networks for High-Performance Parallel Computers , IEEE Computer Society Press, September 1994.
- A. Youssef, Off-line Permutation Routing on Circuit-Switched Fixed Routing Networks , Special Issue of NETWORKS Journal, Vol. 23, pp. 441--448, 1993.
- A. Youssef, Randomized Self-Routing Algorithms for Clos Networks , Computers and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 419--429, 1993.
- T. El-Ghazawi and A. Youssef, A General Framework for Developing Adaptive Fault-Tolerant Routing Algorithms , IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 250--258, June 1993.
- A. Youssef, A Parallel Algorithm for Random Walk Construction with Application to the Monte Carlo Solution of Partial Differential Equations , IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 355--360, Mar. 1993.