1) Melissa Herman Henry Frierson
Northwestern University University of North Carolina-Chapel
2) Charles Vela John Brown
CAHSEE Inc. Seltzer Group, LLC
3) Peter Henderson Diola Bagayoko
National research Council Southern University,
4) Joan Esnayra Michael Gaines
National Research Council University of Miami(Florida)
A, Discuss topics: 30 minutes (You will not necessarily
be able to discuss
all the questions below. Select the ones most pertinent to your group.)
B. Summarize areas of agreement/ disagreement: 15 minutes
C. Develop 2-3 recommendations: 15
1) What models (implicit or explicit) underpin the activities of the
2) How were the program(s) evaluated and how might their results be
incorporated into the growing research base?
3) Do prior or existing programs have characteristics that are scalable?
How might they be adapted or replicated at other sites?
4) Given that each project begins with different initial conditions and
funding sources, how can we build on past efforts to generate new activities
and/or integrate and enhance these efforts to create seamless STEM pathways that
enable students to advance --- pathways that are easily navigable, with
opportunities for students to enter or
re-enter at different stages of their individual education and career
5) What was the role of funding external to the institution(s) in
initiating and/or influencing the success of the program?
6) Have prior or existing programs been assessed for their effectiveness
relative to their cost? How has success been measured?