- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Murray H. Loew
|Address:||Science & Engineering Hall
800 22nd St. NW
Professor Loew’s research focuses around understanding, analysis, and compression of medical images and signals; multimodality image registration and validation; computer-aided diagnosis, and feature selection in pattern recognition and image processing. Current work includes thermal imaging for breast cancer detection.
B.S.E.E., Drexel Institute of Technology, 1962
M.S.E.E., Purdue University, 1967
Ph.D., Purdue University, 1972; P.E
- S. C. Horii and M. H. Loew, "Image processing and the performance gap," Chap. 22 in Biomedical Image Processing, ed. by T. M. Deserno. Berlin: Springer, 2011.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Modeling static and dynamic thermography of the human breast under elastic deformation," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 56, No.1, 2011, pp. 187-202.
- D. M. Conover, J. K. Delaney, P. Ricciardi, and M. H. Loew, "Towards automatic registration of technical images of works of art," Proc. SPIE 7869, Electronic Imaging 2011, 78690C (2011)
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Toward understanding the complex mechanisms behind breast thermography: an overview for comprehensive numerical study," Proc. SPIE 7965, Medical Imaging 2011, 79650H (2011)
- J. K. Delaney, M. H. Loew, and S. Lomax, "Instrument development and analysis tools for standoff identification and mapping of pigments and binders in paintings," Proc. American Chemical Society 241st National Meeting, Analytical Chemistry Division, Partnerships and New Analytical Methodologies at the Interface of Chemistry and Art. Anaheim, March 2011.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Modeling thermography of the tumorous human breast: from forward problem to inverse problem solving," Proc. 2010 IEEE Intl. Symp. on Biomedical Imaging: from Nano to Micro, April 2010.
- K. J. Oweis, M. M. Berl, W. D. Gaillard, E. S. Duke, K. Blackstone, M. H. Loew, and J. M. Zara, "Topologic analysis and comparison of brain activation in children with epilepsy versus controls: an fMRI study," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7626; Medical Imaging 2010: Biomedical Applications in Molecular, Structural, and Functional Imaging, ed. by R. C. Molthen and J. B. Weaver, 76261W, March 2010.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "A numerical study of the inverse problem of breast infrared thermography modeling," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7626; Medical Imaging 2010: Biomedical Applications in Molecular, Structural, and Functional Imaging, ed. by R. C. Molthen and J. B. Weaver, 76261W, March 2010.
- C. A. Lingley-Papadopoulos, M. H. Loew, and J. Zara, "Wavelet analysis enables system-independent texture analysis of optical coherence tomography images," J. Biomedical Optics, Vol. 14, No. 4, July-Aug. 2009, pp. 044010-1 - 044010-8.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Dynamic characterization for tumor- and deformation-induced thermal contrasts on breast surface: a simulation study," Medical Imaging 2009: Biomedical Applications in Molecular, Structural, and Functional Imaging, ed. by X. P. Hu and A. V. Clough. Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7262.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Combined thermal and elastic modeling of the normal and tumorous breast," Proc. SPIE, Volume 6916, Medical Imaging 2008: Physiology, Function, and Structure from Medical Images, ed. by X. P. Hu and A. V. Clough, 69161E (Mar. 12, 2008).
- C. A. Lingley-Papadopoulos, M. H. Loew, M. J. Manyak, and J. M. Zara, "Computer recognition of cancer in the urinary bladder using optical coherence tomography and texture analysis," J. Biomedical Optics, Vol. 13, No. 2, March/April 2008, pp. 024003-1 - 024003-9.
- W. Zhan, L. Jiang, and M. H. Loew, "Mapping spatio-temporal diffusion inside the human brain using a numerical solution of the diffusion equation," Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Vol. 26, 2008, pp. 694-702.
- L. Jiang, W. Zhan, and M. H. Loew, "Dynamic thermal modeling of the normal and tumorous breast under elastic deformation," Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention - MICCAI 2008, 11th Intl. Conf., Sept. 2008, Proceedings, Part II, ed. by D. N. Metaxas, L. Axel, G. Fichtinger, and G. Szekely. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 5242, Springer 2008, pp. 798-805.
- D. Bennett and M. H. Loew, "A new impedance imaging system and dipole basis reconstruction method," Proc. 30th Ann. Intl. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2008. (EMBS 2008), Aug. 2008, pp. 1181 - 1184.
- D. Herdegen and M. H. Loew, "Identity dominance: using fingerprints to link an individual to a larger social structure," Proc. 37th Ann. IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Conf., October 2008.
- P. Perconti and M. H. Loew, "Salience measure for assessing scale-based features in mammograms," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, 24, 2007, B81-B90.
- D. Li and M. Loew, "Analytical-form model observers for decompressed images," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, 24, 2007, B188-B197.
- N. Petridou, D. Plenz, A. Silva, M. Loew, J. Bodurka, and P. Bandettini, "Direct magnetic resonance detection of neuronal electrical activity," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 103(43):16015-20, 2006 Oct 24.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Medical Imaging, 2013 - present
- Conference chair and program committee, SPIE Medical Imaging, 1984 - present
- Chair, executive committee and program chair, IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 1990 - present
- Fulbright Scholar -- Distinguished Chair in Advanced Science and Technology, 2013-14
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Sigma Xi