- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
|Address:||Science & Engineering Hall
800 22nd Street, NW
Professor Ergun Simsek's research interest is focused on the electromagnetic and optical phenomena associated with multilayered structures and nanoscale materials. He is interested in near-field, light-matter interactions, including plasmonic and non-linear effects, and their applications. He is the director of GW WavesLab, where Dr. Simsek and his students conduct advanced experimental and numerical studies on plasmonic devices, 2D layered materials including graphene, and nano structures fabricated with laser ablation.
Electrical engineering; Applied Electromagnetics; Nanotechnologies; Wave propagation and scattering; 2D materials; Plasmonics.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC, 2006
M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, MA 2003
B.S., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bilkent University, Turkey 2001
- B. Mukherjee and E. Simsek, "Plasmonics Enhanced Average Broadband Absorption of Monolayer MoS2," Plasmonics, vol. 11, pp. 1-5 (2015).
- B. Mukherjee, W. S. Leong, Y. Li, H. Gong, L. Sun, Z. X. Shen, E. Simsek, and J. T. L. Thong, "Raman analysis of gold on WSe2 single crystal film," Materials Research Express, vol. 2, 065009 (2015).
- Bablu Mukherjee, Frank Tseng, Daniel Gunlycke, Kiran Kumar Amara, Goki Eda, and Ergun Simsek, "Complex electrical permittivity of the monolayer molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) in near UV and visible," Optical Materials Express, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 447-455 (2015).
- R. Sahin, S. Akturk, and E. Simsek, "Quantifying the Quality of Femtosecond Laser Ablation of Graphene," Applied Physics A, vol. 116, no. 2, pp 555-560, Aug. 2014.
- R. Sahin, E. Simsek, and S. Akturk, "Nanoscale Patterning of Graphene through Femtosecond Laser Ablation," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 104, 053118, 2014.
- TUBITAK International Publication Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- TUBITAK 7th Framework Participation Promotion Award, 2009.
- Duke University Conference Travel Fellowship, 2006.
- Research Assistantship awarded by Duke University, 2003-2006.
- Teaching Assistantship awarded by University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 2001-2003.
- Full scholarship awarded by Bilkent University, 1996-2001.
- Ranked 5th in Nation-wide Student Selection Examination among 1.5 million students, 1996.
- Full Scholarship awarded by the Turkish Government for undergraduate study abroad, 1996.