- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Edward Della Torre
|Address:||Science & Engineering Hall
800 22nd Street, NW
The Institute for Magnetics Research has several projects analyzing hysteresis and loss mechanisms. Reducing losses is one of the of the limiting factors in making a practical magnetic refrigerator or air conditioner. Such conditioners are more efficient, quieter and less polluting than conventional ones. Reducing magnetostriction is another endeavor we are working on.
Magnetic devices in general; magnetic and magneto-optical recording devices in particular; and the use of computers in magnetic modeling using both micromagnetic and Preisach techniques.
B.E.E. 1954, Polytechnic Instititute of Brooklyn, NY
M.S.E.E. 1956, Princeton University, NJ
M.S.Phys 1961, Rutgers University, NJ
D.E.Sc. 1964, Columbia University, NY
- E. Della Torre, "General overview on the modeling of magnetic materials," Frontiers in Magnetism, IEEE Italian Chapter, Messina, Italy, June 17,-18, 2010.
- E. Della Torre, L. H. Bennett, and Y. Jin, "Effect of Grain Size on Magnetic Properties," MMM Conf., Atlanta, Nov. 14-18, 2010.
- E. Della Torre and E. Cardelli, "Magnetic vector aftereffect model," MMM Conf., Atlanta, Nov. 14-18, 2010.
- Gary R. Kahler , Edward Della Torre, Ermanno Cardelli, "Implementation of the Preisach-Stoner-Wohlfarth Classical Vector Model," IEEE Trans. Magn., 46, pp. 21-28. (Jan. 2010).
- E. Della Torre, E.Cardelli, L.H. Bennett, "Identifying hysteresis losses in magnetic media," Joint INTERMAG/MMM Conf., Washngton, DC, Jan 19-22, 2010.
- P. Johnson, E. Della Torre, L. H. Bennett, R.E. Watson, "Bose-Einstein condensation of magnons confined to a nanoparticle," Joint INTERMAG/MMM Conf., Washington, DC, Jan 19-22, 2010.
- Yi Jin, L.H. Bennett, E. Della Torre, "Evaluating hysteretic magnetocaloric effect using the anhysteretic curves method," Joint INTERMAG/MMM Conf., Washngton, DC, Jan 19-22, 2010.
- Provenzano, V.; Shull, R.D.; Waterstrat, R.M.; Bennett, L.H.; Della Torre, E.; Seyoum, H., "Magnetic Properties of Zr 9 Ni 11 Intermetallic Compound," IEEE Trans. Magn., 46, pp. 502 - 504 (Feb. 2010).
- E. Della Torre, E. Cardelli, and L. Bennett, "Hysteresis loss in vector Preisach models", Compel, 29, pp. 1474-1481 (2010).
- E. Cardelli, E. Della Torre, A. Faba, "A General Vector Hysteresis Operator: Extension to the 3-D Case," IEEE Trans, Magn, 46, pp. 3990-4000 (Dec, 2010).
- E. Della Torre, E. Cardelli, "Magnetic vector aftereffect model," J. Appl. Phys., 109, 07D347 (2011).
- E. Della Torre, E. Cardelli, and M. Ovichi, "Losses in a magnetic vector aftereffect model," HMM, Levico, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
- E. Cardelli, E. Della Torre and A. Faba, "Vector modeling for anisotropic magnetic materials," HMM, Levico, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
- Y. Jin, S. Gu, E. Della Torre, L. H. Bennett, and V. Provenzano, "Hysteresis modeling metamagnetism in metallic materials with first order transitions," HMM, Levico, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
- L. H. Bennett, V. Provenzano, Y. Jin, and E. Della Torre, "Modeling of coupled magneto-structural and magnetic hysteresis in a Heusler alloy," HMM, Levico, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
- S. Gu, Y. Jin, P. Chen, C. Yan, E. Della Torre and L. H. Bennett, "Modeling of magnetic material displaying magnetic aftereffect with slow decay rates," HMM, Levico, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
- Past Director of the IEEE
- Member of the Publication advisory Committee of the IEEE Transactions on Magnetics